Saturday, February 27, 2010

Anonymous Ten Great Films of the 00's, On Ottawa Film Review

This is a 10 favorite films list of the 00’s from my friend and local Ottawa film type A&W. My friend, who would like to be credited as A&W, accompanied his list with “If I were able to have seen Dying at Grace it would probably be on there as well”.




A&W’s Ten Favorite Films of the 00’s
1. Tropical Malady (Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2004)
2. The Intruder (Claire Denis, 2004)
3. Life Without Death (Frank Cole, 2000)
4. Inland Empire (Davie Lynch, 2006)
5. A Certain Kind of Death (Grover Babcock & Blue Hadaegh, 2003)
6. Following Sean (Ralph Arlyck, 2005)
7. Trouble Every Day (Claire Denis, 2001)
8. Memories of Murder (Joon-ho Bong, 2003)
9. Billy The Kid (Jennifer Venditti, 2007)
10. Nathan Barley (Christopher Morris, 2005) "TV series"



*****

On Ottawa Film Review

This overt shift from a film listing or review to a submitted top ten list – hopefully I can get a few others – is part of the new direction for Ottawa Film Review. This online film editorial, for me, provides a diary-like tally of the films I see in Ottawa film theatres. In the future, I might have to reevaluate the title as I am planning to move to Montreal, Toronto, or Paris in the upcoming September or October. What I really want to do from now on with this space is to engage in a greater discourse of the experiences of being a cinephile in Ottawa – the nations capital – and expose a certain grain of worthwhile Canadian cinema. This is being accentuated by now working for the Canadian Film Institute. Thanks again, Scott.

I do not include my personal video consumption and I purposely avoid writing about each week new Hollywood releases as (1) I am usually disappointed by most of Hollywood’s sup-par escapism output - I tend to prefer a select handful of filmmakers who usually imprint their personality onto their material and that generally have a humanistic and generous world view, with exceptions - and (2) most major distributed films are already so publicized that anything said about them is overshadowed by the vast writing, critical and non-critical, already available.

What to expect in the upcoming month of March, potentially a few interviews and I plan on writing about Allan King; his film Dying at Grace is playing at the Library and Achieves Canada March 14th at 7PM, Donigan Cumming; whose recent work will be projected at the Cinémathèque Québécoise in Montreal March 17th at 6:30PM, and Atom Egoyan; his new film Chloe which will be premiering at the Bytowne Cinema March 26th.-David Davidson

No comments: